According to a recent survey that we, Online Alarm Clock, conducted with more than 1000 people, the vast majority prefers to sleep between 9:00 PM and 2:00 AM (61%), with the highest percentage sleeping between 10:00 PM and 11:00 PM (15%), followed by 12:00 AM to 1:00 AM (14%).
Nonetheless, some people opted for the early hours of the morning between 1:00 AM and 2:00 AM (10%) and from 3 AM to 4 AM (6%). Although a few voters (7%) make it a bit early to bed between 8:00 and 9:00 PM, only a handful (1%) sleep within the first strides of the evening, between 6:00 and 7:00 PM.
Average Time People Go to Bed
Here are the results of our survey for the average time people go to bed:
- 10:00 PM – 11:00 PM (15%)
- 12:00 AM – 1:00 AM (14%)
- 9:00 PM – 10:00 PM (12%)
- 1:00 AM – 2:00 AM (10%)
- 11:00 PM – 12:00 AM (10%)
- 2:00 AM – 3:00 AM (7%)
- 8:00 PM - 9.00 PM (7%)
- 3:00 AM – 4:00 AM (6%)
Considering that the average person has to wake up between 6:00 and 6:30 AM, that would mean that most people aren't always getting the recommended amount of sleep - seven to nine hours a day. However, how much sleep a person needs depends on a lot of factors. This includes their age, genetics, as well as various environmental and medical factors.
How Much Sleep Do We Really Need?
Here is how much sleep does an average person need, according to the National Sleep Foundation:
- Newborn (0 to 3 months old): 14 to 17 hours
- Infant (4 to 12 months old): 12 to 15 hours
- Toddler (1 to 2 years old): 11 to 14 hours
- Preschool-age (3 to 5 years old): 10 to 13 hours
- School-age (6 to 13 years old): 9 to 11 hours
- Teen (14 to 17 years old): 8 to 10 hours
- Adult (18 to 64 years old): 7 to 9 hours
- Older Adult (65 years old and older): 7 to 8 hours
How Do You Get Enough Sleep at Night?
Here are the proven methods to ensure you sleep better at night:
- having a quiet bedroom with high-quality bedding at a comfortable temperature
- having a consistent bedtime routine
- avoiding eating at night
- avoiding alcohol before bed
- bathing before sleep
- exercising regularly
According to our survey, most people sleep between 9:00 PM and 2:00 AM, where 10:00 PM to 11:00 PM stands highest in our poll.
Our sleep needs differ as we grow older. When we're young, we need more than the recommended amount of seven to nine hours of sleep. However, even though the amount of sleep we need differs as we grow older and from one individual to another, it's still important to follow a proper sleep routine.
What's also more important is to make sure that you get high-quality sleep. This can only happen with a regular sleep schedule and an ideal sleep environment.